Once a week I step on the scale. This week, I was
dreading not looking forward to doing so.
If you’ve looked at my progress page, you’ll see that I’m losing weight at an incredibly slow pace. Of course, I’d like to see results faster, but I know that feeling restricted will lead to overeating. So I’m OK with this. However, I admit (and I’m probably not alone) there are those days when I just don’t want to see the scale go up. I have noticed that this feeling usually coincides with unusual eating.
Last week was one of those weeks. Apparently I was hungry. Plus, it was a long weekend. AND our fabulous friend stayed with our little bears overnight at our house, so hubby and I had a night of fun at a friend’s house.
Details of the unusual eating included:
- Buying a package of Heshey's chocolate kisses at work (on sale from Valentine's Day!). First time I have bought chocolate at work since I returned from mat leave in May. Good news is that I gave half of the package to a colleague and ate the other half over a two days.
- Accepted a piece of birthday cake from a work colleague.
- Forgot to bring a snack while running errands. So I picked up a Tim Horton's wheat and carrot muffin. For lunch, I decided to have a piece of toast with hummus with salad, but instead I ate 1.5 grilled cheese sandwiches that hubby made before I got home.
- Went to a tapas restaurant for dinner with friends; we shared several dishes, including a beet salad, hand cut french fries, calamari and a glass of wine. The festivities continued after dinner, including a small whoopie pie from Starbucks, sharing two big bags of chips, plus I pretty much ate an entire bag of Werther's Original Toffee Crunch myself.
- The next morning we went out for breakfast that included eggs, homefries, toast and bacon.
- Hubby runs out to buy a few groceries since the stores are closed on Monday for Family Day. While he is out, I eat a bowl of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup and walnuts. Hubby comes home with a small New York style cheesecake. I have a small piece.
- Our original plans for Family Day fell through, so we ended up at McDonald's for lunch. I usually order a cheeseburger and split an order of fries with the kids, but this time I ordered a quarter pounder combo.
- While watching the Bachelor, I ate another piece of the little cheesecake. Plus, I go back for subsequent slivers of cake thereafter. Thankfully, hubby puts the little cheesecake out of its misery and eats the remaining quarter piece.
- Just when I think everything is returning to normal, the managers at work serve pancakes for Pancake Day. I grab two: no butter, no syrup (tasty just on its own). At lunch, I head to the kitchenette to make my lunch; what is in there? The leftover pancakes. I eat three more.
After all that eating, I thought for sure I was going to see a gain. Sure, I ate well the rest of the week, but I obviously did some serious mindless eating this week.
So what happened when I stepped on the scale on Wednesday? I'm down a pound. Wow - the results on the scale can be so random.