Wednesday, September 12, 2012

It's been eight long days

Ok, I want to admit to you something slightly controversial. I want to tell you about this because I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms this week.

Actually, it is a little bit longer than a week; eight days in fact. Eight long days since McDonald's ended its $1 drink sale.

Yes, I love diet coke. And there is nothing better than a big McDonald's diet coke. My friend Tania told me that Coca-cola technicians see to it that the McDonald's pop fountains have the perfect syrup to carbonated water ratio. I don't know if that is true or not, but no matter where you go, I rarely get a stale diet coke at McDonald's; a little slice of heaven in a cup.

I know that some people say diet coke is bad for you, but I just don't buy it. Personally, I think the caffeine is more worrisome than the aspartame. I don't drink coffee, so I'm not too worried about my caffeine consumption. I'm not saying that I won't change my mind in the future, but for now, I put diet coke in the same bucket as all other food choices: everything in moderation.

For the most part, I have one diet coke per day during the week, and two to three on the weekend. Sometimes more and sometime less. Except of course, when the McDonald's has its annual summer drink sale. So, I loved walking to the McDonald's at Yonge and Richmond during my afternoon break and picking up a large diet coke. MMMMmmmm.

But now it is over.

And I'm a bit on edge.

I even checked out 7eleven to see the price of a big gulp.

But I know it won't be the same.

I know, I'll get over it.

Just like when season 2 of Game of Thrones ended.

Sigh....  

5 comments:

  1. lol - Without a doubt, fountain diet drinks are just plain better than can / glass. I don't know why. And you are right, I remember McD's being good.
    I finally gave up all sodas, for good. I'm not sure about diet being bad for you, but I am slowly getting rid of the artificial sweetener and regular sweetener, mostly because I am testing out whether it changes my tastes for food.
    Since giving up most sugar, I went from thinking fruit was nasty to being one of my favorite things. I don't know - the artificial may not change my taste, but I figure what the hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GIRRRRRLLLL....
    I have me a medium Diet Coke, light ice every morning.
    My uncle works at McDonalds and asked the Coke distributor why it's so good, and your theories are correct.
    My doctor (who has the same addictions!!!)says it's the high volume, so it's fresher...
    It's like crack cocaine.
    I've given it up for 3 weeks, but now I just really try to enjoy it and savor it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you! I used to be COMPLETELY addicted to Diet Coke before giving it up cold turkey a year ago. And I quickly lost 25 pounds without making any other changes to my diet or exercise routine. When people tell you the Diet Coke makes you fat, believe 'em.

    NL
    www.transformationforme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re New Life: Man I wish I could have lost 25 lbs by cutting out DC. I used to drink... conservatively maybe 6 per day most days per week for many years (before that I drank Diet Pepsi and Fresca). Then about a decade ago I stopped drinking it. Now, I don't think it was the reason I gained weight (not drinking the diet), but losing the crutch of drinking that instead of eating certainly did not help matters.

    Fountain tapped Diet Coke. Kara - you live life on the edge lady. : )

    I mourned the season's endings of Lost. Glad it ended so abysmally. Made the lose less lossy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol that's like when pumpkin lattes are out :) I always have to have them, but now I just tell myself enjoy one or two this season, not one a day! :)

    Haha I love Game of Thrones!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love to hear what you have to say. While you are here, why don't you follow my blog too.

Also: I'm starting to get spam, so I've made the decision to moderate comments (unfortunately).