Tuesday, October 29, 2013

How to handle a craving - step 3: prepare by visualizing the outcome

Looking for a simple, low-risk method for handling a craving? I suggest you try visualization, a technique I learned and practiced as an athlete.

The Collins dictionary defines visualization as a technique involving focusing on positive mental images in order to achieve a particular goal. Athletes use visualization to mentally rehearse and maximize their performance in competition.

As I type this, I can't help but to visualize my competitive synchronized swimming days. Right now I'm walking on the deck, in sync with my duet partner. Instinctively, I raise my chin and roll my shoulders back as the images run through my mind....

The best thing about visualization is that you can prepare and practice a new behaviour before you need the new behaviour. By mentally rehearsing a new behaviour, your brain develops the "same mental instructions as actions, and impacts cognitive processes such as motor control, attention, perception, planning and memory."

That means that you practice handling a craving without the actual craving! On Monday I listened to Get-It-Done Guy's Quick and Dirty Tips podcast on "How to create good habits." It dawned on me that visualization is a great way to prepare for my next craving; specifically this slight habit of drinking hot chocolate and marshmallows in the evening (recent habit since the weather has cooled). Since listening to the podcast, I'm on my second night of a snack-free evening.

To prepare for the evening, I visualized a new nighttime routine, one that included hot water instead of hot chocolate and marshmallows. Details included the exact routine such as turning on the kettle, retrieving my klean kanteen travel mug from my bag, pouring the water into my mug and adding three ice cubes to cool the boiling water to the right temperature.

Most importantly, I visualized drinking and enjoying my drink, feeling the warmth spread through my body. Hot water is both comforting and refreshing!

When the familiar twinge of hunger hit that usually nudges my feet towards the kitchen, I pushed the thought from my mind as I knew what to do, and I had decided and practiced my actions already. Sure enough, the hot chocolate craving was easily cooled.

If you haven't used visualization before, here are a few tips:

  • Breakdown one specific behaviour at a time. Drinking water instead of hot chocolate is specific. Stop all mindless eating is not.
  • Incorporate all the steps leading up to the new behaviour. Not only did I picture myself drinking hot water, but I also visualized turning on the kettle,  getting my cup, pouring the water and finally drinking the drink.
  • Visualize specific details such as the environment, clothes, people, and senses. Make your images as realistic as possible.
  • Include your feelings including satisfaction, happiness, confidence and motivation.
If you are wary of your next craving, practice the outcome you want by visualizing it!


Next post: How to handle a craving - Step 3: Reflect and prepare for the next craving continued

1 comment:

  1. This is such an important concept. Thanks for a wonderful series of posts on it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love to hear what you have to say. While you are here, why don't you follow my blog too.

Also: I'm starting to get spam, so I've made the decision to moderate comments (unfortunately).