Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"You just have to want to do it" says Mila Kunis

A friend emailed me this link to an article in the Globe and Mail about a quote from the actress Mila Kunis who lost 20 pounds for her role in Black Swan. In an interview with British Glamour magazine she was quoted as saying, "...when people say, 'I can't lose weight,' no, no, no, you can. Your body can do everything and anything, you just have to want to do it."

Here is the comment I left about this article:

To lose weight you need to eat less calories than your body uses. Sounds easy, but for many people accomplishing this is difficult. Why? Because long-term dieting affects your thinking and can work against you.

After years (decades) of dieting and an eating disorder history, I finally got help from a cognitive behaviour therapist. I discovered that my overeating behaviour is triggered by dieting not by food. Following (or not following) dieting rules produces anxiety and anxiety feels like hunger. In the beginning I could easily will my way through a craving, but as the years went by it became increasingly more difficult. 

If you want to find out what triggers your eating, I recommend cognitive behaviour therapy. I feel like a new person, I'm not thinking about food all the time, battling cravings, and constantly stressed about whether or not I can make it in and out of the store without buying something to eat. And for the first time in my life, I'm losing weight without a diet.

I'm not surprised that Mila Kunis thinks that "you just have to want to do it" in order to lose weight. Most people think that. Anyone on a diet wants to lose weight; the problem is that how they think about food and eating can either help them lose weight or completely sabotage it.
On a positive note, at least Mila acknowledged that she didn't feel attractive at 95 pounds... Let me know what you think.

Previous Post: How do you solve a problem like Oreos?

2 comments:

  1. ...and considering she's never been fat, I laugh at her comments, shake my head, and move on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SMH at Mila Kunis.....I don't take weight loss advice from anyone that has never been over 200 lbs in their life.....just sayin'

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love to hear what you have to say. While you are here, why don't you follow my blog too.

Also: I'm starting to get spam, so I've made the decision to moderate comments (unfortunately).